Helping you support your students
As a trusted partner in delivering mental health support for young people, we know the vital role their school, college or university plays in their wellbeing. And sometimes it can be tough to provide all the services that are needed. That’s where we help.
Youth Talk is a pioneering local community charity providing free, confidential counselling to 13-25 year olds in the St Albans area. Young people refer themselves directly, and have the chance to work through their situation with qualified counsellors who are experts at working with young people.
A service dedicated to young people
- Self-referral service – young people refer themself to us. There are no criteria that have to be met for a young person to self-refer – they just have to complete an online form, email us or call.
- Confidentiality – Youth Talk is a safe space to talk. All conversations are kept private and the young person doesn’t have to inform anyone.
- Sessions from Monday – Friday from 10am – 7pm.
- Completely free of charge.
- Quick to start – we try to see young people for an initial meeting within three weeks – quicker than other services such as CAMHS.
- Support for up to a year – young people have an average of 12 sessions with us – but for those who need it we will see them for up to a year.
Informed by young people
We are proud that we have an active Youth Panel advising us and helping us to make important decisions about our work and the ongoing development of the charity.
Get more from Youth Talk
We have a range of resources that you can provide to students – including discreet information cards to a wider range of materials that you can use to show the services that Youth Talk provide across the school.
We also have a dedicated section on this site for young people – allowing this site to be accessed through your onsite wifi could make an important difference for a young person who needs support.
We need your support to keep changing lives
We rely on the generosity of our local community to fund our work. We love working with schools to both raise awareness of mental health and our service. The fundraising and volunteering that schools can help with is vital to keeping our service running.
Download a copy of our fundraising pack or drop us an email
Without Youth Talk things would have continued to spiral and [I] would have had no motivation to do any work for school or potentially even go to school